Wahkiakum County Fair
“A Yearly Summer Tradition”
About the Event
The first County Fair was held in Gray’s River in 1912, The second was held in Cathlamet and the third in Skamokawa, it’s present home. In 1915, 3 acres of land at $100.00 per acre was purchased from Alexander Moe, for a permanent site for the county fair. The Moe family opened the first store in Skamokawa on Price Island, and Albert Moe was the first postmaster.. The Commercial building was built in 1917, and the T-Building was build by Tom Monroe for the cost of $3,200.00 in 1918
The 1914 County fair was a complete success. The ferndale Creamery of Grays River placed first with their butter. The Ladies Aid Society of Skamokawa served chicken dinners for $.35 cents each. Daylight and evening dances at the Fredrickson hall and Sliverman’s new hall kept up a perpetual whirl of enjoyment.
Now our fair is over 100 years old and still young and old love to visit. Our fair visitors travel hundreds of miles to enjoy the food, displays, animals, shows, and play games and meet old friends. Please join us in August every year for the Wahkiakum County Fair.